FIRST Tech Challenge is a robotics league where middle and high school students design, build and program robots to fulfill a challenge which changes every season. Virtual Robot Simulator is a platform that allows students to program and test FIRST Tech Challenge robots without the need for physical hardware, making challenges and risks associated with real equipment obsolete. It supports two FTC seasons, including Power Play.
Watch a basic introduction and setup guide to VRS!
Watch this VRS program, created by 5th graders, achieve the FTC Ultimate Goal world record of 180 points.
– Ability to write programs in both FTC Blocks and Java, so people of all skill levels and knowledge can use
– Accurate Development environment, which makes it very comparable to programming real robots
– Actively worked on and maintained, so new features are always being added, and bugs are being fixed
– Supports Power Play, the 2022-2023 FTC game
– Realistic physics. What you see in VRS is extremely similar to what would happen in real life
– Several lessons with challenges, hints and solutions available from within the application.
– Well documented, so everyone can get started and learn VRS and FTC programming.
– Free and open source, so you can modify the software to your liking and contribute if you’d like
Better for beginners, more lessons and more stable
Better for real FTC teams, support for latest FTC challenge
Here are some guides that beginners can use for reference after getting VRS.
Document – Goes over how to install and set up VRS
Introducing how to make your robot move and how to strafe(move in any direction without turning)
Article – The most basic introduction to Virtual Robot Simulator and programming in general.
Virtual Robot Simulator is a simple, easy-to-use platform that allows FTC teams to program and test their robots without access to physical hardware.
Virtual Robot Simulator now supports the 2022-2023 FTC Season, Power Play! It has full support for Power Play in both TeleOp and Autonomous, with two fully featured sample robots for you to use. Check it out today at https://powerplay.vrobotsim.online!